Friday, April 18, 2008

Daddy's Week @ Home, Day 5



Just like Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak*, all good things must come to an end. Jack put up an 0 for 4 yesterday, and basically looked like Marion Mendoza** at the plate. It is probably a good thing that we did not venture outside the friendly confines of The House of Mills yesterday as Jack definitely tested my patience to say the least. It wasn't terrible, but in comparison to the 3 days that preceded it***, it was not a wonderful day yesterday - Jack was fussy pretty much all afternoon and needed to be held constantly (which didn't necessarily cure the crying anyway). To top it all off, I have apparently developed allergies in the last couple years, and yesterday my nose ran like a leaky faucet****. But he is a baby after all, and that is what babies do -they fuss. If Jack puts another good day out there today (which I anticipate happening), that makes him 4 for 5 for an .800 Batting Average. That friends...is a Hall of Famer.

*I was going to use Albert Pujols' record 6 season run (to start a career), where he hit at least .300/30hrs/100runs/100rbis every season (which is truly an unprecedented start to a career; the streak would be 7 seasons to start a career with those numbers but for the fact he only scored 99 runs last season. One Run Off!!!) - but since I have been using a hitting streak reference for the past couple days, I thought it best to be consistent.
**The guy for whom "The Mendoza Line" was named - in reference to his offensive ineptitude (is that a word?).
***I think that not getting out of the house may have been the reason why he was fussy yesterday. Perhaps Jack just wanted to let me know that he likes to get out around town too? You know, do baby stuff like playing in the dirt, crusing in his own 4 wheeler (read: getting pushed in his stroller), or even scoping out the babes at the foot court in the mall (his favorite pastime by far!).
****Met my similie quota today! Just trying to teach Jack basic elements of the English language...cuz I am master of it after all (somewhere Matt Friesleben, proof-reader of many Millsian documents throughout the years, shakes his head in disgust).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It is nice to see that Jack and John survived the week! I did notice Jack's wardrobe improved throughout the week!
Love.....Nana

Heidi said...

Congrats John...you made it! I am glad that you and Jack got to spend some man to man time! Hope to see you soon!