Monday, October 19, 2009

70-year-olds 2 - John 0

Some of you may remember my epic 10k performance last summer, where I was soundly beaten by legendary 70 year old half robot?-half man, Herb Brown.*

*In my defense though, I mean, he did run 9:30 miles, and I had slept in the back of my blazer at a BBQ contest the previous night, without sufficient nourishment.

Anyway, I vowed that I would never again be beaten by a 70 year old man again. I vowed that I would regain my pride and whup up on 70 year old butt going forward!!! So with this weekend's 1/2 marathon in mind, I thought to myself: "Self, how many 70 year old men can even run 13.1 miles, let alone beat you?" I then answered back, "Surely none, self."

John Mills - 2 hours 7 minutes - 9:42 miles (My 10k split was at a 9 minute mile pace...which would have beaten old Herb by 2.5 minutes...so take that Herb!)

However, I was only able to hold off 4 of the 5 70 year old men running the half marathon...

David Zimmer - The robots must have upgraded their power, but you and I have a dance with destiny next year. Same time. Same place, sir!*

To make matters worse, apparently 65-69 year old women are now kicking my butt.

*Maybe I need to retire instead. Seriously though, dude is clocking sub 8 minute miles in his 70's? What is in the water in Long Grove, Iowa. He finished in the top 10% of all runners in the half-marathon. Jeesh.... I better get training now.

2 comments:

Andrea W said...

Millsie - you make me laugh. A lot. Congrats on finishing!

MadKanga said...

Good job. I couldn't get out of bed practically for 2 days when I did mine! So, be at peace, that 70-year old is probably going to be in bed for a week at least!